Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Cognitive Dissonance: Gun Nut Edition


Cognitive Dissonance: Psychological conflict resulting from incongruous beliefs and attitudes held simultaneously.

So if you didn't get that, in short, cognitive dissonance occurs when your actions and attitudes do not line up with your proclaimed belief system or ideologies.

So, I know I have not done a lot of blogging in a while but I am going to blog a series on cognitive dissonance that I see every day around me.  They will be religious and political in nature and if you are a conservative religious person they will be offensive to you.  So you have been officially warned.



As I sat in my car looking at my neighbor's house I see that the security surveillance company is back out checking his equipment for him and I can only shake my head. I just don't get it...

You have to have some background I guess to get it...my neighbor really...REALLY does not like me.  He is a conservative, white, former military, concealed weapon instructor, Republican Trumpster Dumpster.  Needless to say, I voted for Obama, I am a liberal that has no personal need or use for guns that teaches my children to try to find a peaceful solution to all things.  Yeah...they flat out told me that they teach their children that that is cowardice... When I first moved here everything that went wrong in the country, or he perceived to be wrong, he would trot his happy little ass over to my house to complain because, apparently I am the only liberal he knows so it was my fault.

Dude, seriously, I am a Hispanic, liberal, Democrat, Atheist..in South Carolina...if there is such a thing as a meaningless vote I define it.  The only way I could NOT fit in better is if I were gay...seriously.  If I were in Ohio or one of the other battleground states you could give me shit...but here?  I am a harmless curiosity. But I digress.

So, as you might imagine, we don't interact much just to keep tensions down. I have to admit that the feelings are mutual...as much as it pains me to say that.  It used to be the only time we talked is when he was trying to sell me a gun..sorry, I have 6 kids, two on medications, so a gun just doesn't seem like a really bright idea.  I kind of lost interest in communicating when he told me that I must want my wife and daughters raped because I didn't want a gun in my house. (what is it with conservatives and their fascination with rape fantasies anyway?)



SOOOO...having said all that it just strikes me, as I watch these security people, checking the cameras and the security equipment...why is it that conservatives that swear their guns make them so much safer are so damn paranoid? If I had an arsenal in my house and I felt that the more guns I had the safer I was I would sleep like a baby...but these guys are so freakin paranoid!

These guys need a gun to go to Wal-Mart, Target, the Post Office...hell...even church where supposedly their god is present...sorry dude...if your god can't protect you your pea shooter sure as hell won't.  But an arsenal is not good enough, you have to have a camera on your porch (pointed in the direction of my front yard, I might add...which may just be line of sight so I won't make TOO big of a deal about it.) I just don't get it.


1 comments:

Big Dummy said...

No sane gun owner is at all interested in playing judge, jury and executioner, as this meme states in a bold faced lie. Sane gun owners have guns to defend themselves, their families and the innocent. This is why in areas where open-carry gun laws exist, very little violent crime occurs as where most school shootings in America occur in gun free zones. But I'm sure that's just a coincidence, right?

 

Musings of a Madman Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo